Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Daily Thoughts 02/25/2014


Pink Note, The Novelette, James McNeill Whistler, 1894

Daily Thoughts 02/25/2014

I took some time enough this last week.  This morning, we had a customer service training meeting.  It was focused on improving how we worked with the public.  Part of it was preparing for better community relations before we had a vote on our budget.  It was a surprisingly pleasant experience.  When I got back, I saw my picture on one of the posters in support of the library.  I also did a video interview today for about seven minutes which is a fairly long cut for video.  It was not too bad.  I don't find myself to be that uncomfortable in front of a camera or video.

I returned my books and checked out two books that were waiting for me.  What W.H. Auden Can Do For You by Alexander McCall Smith and a graphic novel, RASL by Jeff Smith who is famous for the comic Bone.  

I read a copy of Library Journal, a Booklist, and a copy of the New York Review of Books.  I put the book Annhilation by Jeff Vandermeer on hold.  I am also looking forward to reading Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction by Jeff Vandermeer.  I also put a hold on the book Words Will Break Cement The Passion of Pussy Riot by Masha Geshen on hold.  They have been in the news quite often in Russia.

I made sure we had some extra copies of Having Our Say: The Delaney Sisters' First 100 Years for the nonfiction book club tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.

I spent a little bit of time checking the Facebook and Twitter for the library.  I also did some shifting in the oversize books and checked the displays.

Web Bits

2014 Advocacy Slideshare
http://www.slideshare.net/METROnyc/2014-advocacy

No comments: