Thursday, October 4, 2018

Daily Thoughts 10/04/2018

Alexander Mann - Portrait of Helen Gow.jpg
Portrait of Helen Gow, Alexander Mann, Unknown Date

Daily Thoughts 10/04/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

Last night, I watched an episode of An Introduction to Meditation Course on Kanopy.  I watched Episode 6 Breathing: Finding A Focus for Attention.  One of the reasons I use the libraries electronic services regularly is that I have to explain to the patrons how they work and the best way to understand them is to use them.

I read some more of Palaces for the People last night.  I read about how sports like soccer and baseball bring different communities together.

I also started reading 12 Rules for Life An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson.  There is a tie to Quora, the social media question and answer service for the origins of this book.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I worked a little bit on ordering.

I put in an order for some more sign holders.  We are steadily putting up new shelf signage for the main floor.

I spent some time working on an analysis of the electronic resources in relation to the local school for a colleague.

I finished reading Palaces for the People How Social Infrastructure Can Help Fight Inequality, Polarization, and the Decline of Civic Life by Eric Klinenberg.  There is a lot in this book about libraries and why we should support them because of the social function they provide to a community.

The last part of the book is about how people pull together during disasters.  It is also about how disaster prevention mechanisms for flooding like berms and seawalls can be integrated into public spaces.

I spent a little time looking at the week 5 powerpoint slides for the Politics and Partnerships class.


Web Bits


Barnes and Noble Hangs Up For Sale Sign

Boston Public Library Takes Aim At Digital Divide With New Pilot

5 Ways Your Library Can Help You  Save Money

No comments: