Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thoughts for the Day

The Last Whale blog http://thelastwhale.blogspot.com/ asked me to read a book on his subject, so I put a book on hold called Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America by Eric Jay Dolin. It should be interesting.

Today has been pretty slow, more weeding of reference and producing bookmarks for distributing to other libraries. Nothing particularly exciting.

I've been looking over the RUSA-- Reference and User Services Association guidelines for libraries. It might not be that interesting to most people. We have been asked to make long term plans so I am looking at the guidelines so I can get a better sense of where we might be going. This is pretty thick stuff. It says a lot without saying anything at all. I have been looking at the New York State library guidelines as well. There isn't much there. But, there is a subtext about expectations in libraries.

http://www.ala.org/ala/rusa/protools/referenceguide/guidelinesinformation.cfm

I am a member of the American Library Association, my professional association as well as RUSA. I have found RUSA to be much more useful for me than ALA. I do a lot more work with Reference than anything else.

No comments: