Saturday, May 30, 2009

Daily Thoughts 5/30/2009

The Adventures of Tarzan Starring Elmo Lincoln. This film is based on The Return of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Edgar Rice Burroughs is considered the creator of the planet story with his Martian tales.



Paizo Press is reprinting many of the original Planet Stories from the original pulp magazine. I picked up a copy of Henry Kuttner's short story book, Robots Have No Tails about a drunken amoral inventor. The stories have a mix of sarcasm and dark humor.

The Planet Stories series includes books by Leigh Brackett, C.L. Moore, Michael Moorcock, and Henry Kuttner some of the better pulp science fiction writers. Many science fiction writers consider Henry Kuttner to be one of the best science fiction writers of his time period.



I am also reading The Toyota Way 14 Management Principles From The Worlds Greatest Manufacturer by Jeffrey K. Liker. It is about the principles behind Toyota's management practices including kaizen and lean manufacturing.



This afternoon, I read The Twitter Book by Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein on http://www.netgalley.com/ . I enjoyed reading the book, the one issue I have with Net Galley is that you cannot adjust the font size in their online reader. The book itself was a very quick read. It was nicely illustrated with easy to read text and explanations.



Netgalley currently has 176 titles in their database of galleys. Most of these are for forthcoming items. This may be a good place to look for featured forthcoming books for libraries.



After looking at Libdrone's blog, I noticed that there was a search box on his blog http://libdrone.info/ . I decided to add my own. My blog is now searchable.

2 comments:

Garg Unzola said...

That art nouveau style poster is great. I used to read all the Tarzan books in my native tongue. They had the Frank Frazetta covers and were cherished. I don't think I've seen a Tarzan film this old, might be worth investigating.

Book Calendar said...

They were serialized in the 1920s much like Flash Gordon. They are a little bit controversial now because of the not so correct content.