Thursday, January 14, 2010

Daily Thoughts 1/14/2010

Domenico Fetti, Archimedes Thoughtful 1620



Daily Thoughts 1/14/2010


I'm off today, I watched Terminator 3 Salvation on dvd which was relaxing. I also finished reading Choosing Civility.

I also registered for Book Expo America today.

Right now, I am reading The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part II: From the Bastille to Baghdad by Larry Gonick. Larry Gonick writes nonfiction cartoon books including The Cartoon History of the United States, The Cartoon Guide to Physics, The Cartoon Guide to Statistics, The Cartoon Guide to Genetics, The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, and The Cartoon Guide to Sex. All of his books include indexes and complete bibliographies. I have read The Cartoon History of the Universe Part I, II, and III and enjoyed all of them.

Thes Cartoon History books include are very wide ranging and cover all the different parts of the world; Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and North and South America. They are not politically correct and do not gloss over the darker aspects of history like the opium wars, the slave trade, the partitioning of Africa, and the various dalliances and quirks of world leaders. There are a lot of jokes and light humor throughout.

No comments: