Thursday, April 15, 2010

Daily Thoughts 4/15/2010

Edmund Spenser best known for his poem, The Faerie Queene.


Daily Thoughts 4/15/2010

I finished reading Brain Thief by Alexander Jablokov this morning. It was fun to read. I have not read anything quite like it. He manages to combine a mystery with science fiction. The elements are quite a surprise, a serial killer, a thief of cryogenic heads, and an edgy setting.

I spent a little bit more time going over my orders and reading Publishers Weekly and Kirkus Reviews. I also spent some time talking about the poetry program to an older gentleman. I think it will get even better next time.

I also spent a bit of time cleaning my desk and sorting through the donations. I found a few large print donations to add including Salman Rushdie, The Enchantress of Florence.

Digital Eel which makes independent computer software games has a nice selection of free etexts of classic speculative fiction and horror which they call The Dusty Bookshelf. http://www.digital-eel.com/blog/library.htm

On the way home, I read a bit of Shadowtag by Louise Erdrich. It is a story about an artistic family. The story focuses on the strained relationship between a woman and her artistic husband. The woman keeps a set of diaries on her life. I am just starting to get a feel for the novel. It is about jealousy, love, and all the emotions that go into a marriage.

No comments: