Friday, May 30, 2014

Daily Thoughts 05/30/2014

Pomeriggio-in-terrazza, c. 1900, Vittorio Matteo Corcos

Daily Thoughts 05/30/2014

This morning, I checked the libraries Twitter and Facebook.

I plan on going to several panels today at Book Expo America.  Two of them are Librarians Book Buzz Part II and Librarians Shout n' Share in the afternoon.

I started reading Jules Feiffer, Kill My Mother.  The story is a kind of offbeat noire graphic novel.  I finished reading Kill My Mother on the way to Book Expo America.  There is lots of action.  I really enjoy the character, Annie who is very mischievous.

Right now, I am in the VIP lounge, I spent a little time reading the Show Daily.  There are a few things I want to see.  There is a graphic adaption of Neil Gaiman's  The Graveyard Book drawn by P. Craig Russell which should be fantastic.  There was a postcard but no book for The Graveyard Book.

I walked the floor again today.  Mostly, I picked up finished books.  I ended up shipping off a 30 pound box of books to my library.  I also took two titles for my own personal reading, The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett which is fantasy, and War and Gold a 500 Year history of Empires, Adventures, and Debt by Kwasi Kwarteng.

I am going to the AAP Annual Librarians Book Buzz II from 2:00 p.m. to 3:20 p.m., then the Librarians Shout N' Share from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.  I am thinking about going to Advanced Facebook Marketing for Authors and Publishing Professionals from 1:00 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
I went to the Advanced Facebook Marketing for Authors and Professionals, this is a Slideshare presentation from her.  http://www.slideshare.net/CindyRatzlaff/facebook-201-15-super-easy-and-inexpensive-ways-to-create-a-rock-star-facebook-page-for-your-brand-book-or-business

The Book Buzz was a lot of popular books from a variety of publishers.   A few books which looked especially interesting were The Glass Cage: Automation and Us by Nicholas Carr which is a critique of computers.,  Coding for Kids for Dummies by Camille McKay, The Peripheral by William Gibson, A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James which is a fictional account about an assassination attempt on Bob Marley, and A Thousand Foods to Eat Before You Die by Mimi Sheraton.

The final event I went to was the Librarians Shout N' Share where different collection development librarians showed books which they had liked from all over the convention.  It was for both quirky and popular material.  The showing was quick with a few sentences about each boy.  There were a few which caught my interest like Gutenberg's Apprentice: A Novel by Alix Christie, The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, Daring: A Memoir of Life's Passage by Gail Sheehy, My Salinger Year by Ann Rakoff about working in publishing, and Garlic an Edible Biography by Robin Cherry.  There were so many books that it was hard to keep track of them all.


Web Bits



Why Used Ebooks Still Have Not Happened

No comments: