Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Daily Thoughts

Statue of Isidore of Seville (c.560–636) at the entrance staircase of the National Library of Spain in Madrid. Sculpted in Italian white marble by José Alcoverro y Amorós (1835–1910) in 1892.


Daily Thoughts

Today was another steady day. I put together a list of family oriented films which we might show on Sunday afternoons. A lot of them are cartoons, Shrek, The Incredibles, classic Popeye cartoons, or musicals The Wizard of OZ, High School The Musical, and Annie. Now that I have a short list, I am supposed to meet in committee to select what we are going to show. I have volunteers for the first three committee members.

I also spent some time filing looseleafs for the New York Code of Rules and Regulations and Bender's Forms for the Civil Practice.

This is the first day in a while where I have not done any specific weeding. I selected some books to be sent to the bindery, mostly older material that was in the storage area. Also, I reviewed a few older titles for discard. Some of them were classic works by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I decided these had literary merit and were worth keeping. I also kept some of Ian Fleming's early James Bond novels.

I finisehd reading Building Hope Leadership In The Nonprofit World by John Bateson. It was a very interesting book about running a busy crisis center for preventing suicide. The book was a combination of a memoir and a management guide for nonprofits. I will be writing a review of it soon.

Immediately after finishing Building Hope, I started reading How To Manage An Effective Nonprofit Organization by Michael A. Sand. I am trying to get a better understanding of the process of management in the nonprofit versus the for profit world. Hopefully this will give me a better sense of what is happening at my job.

No comments: