Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Daily Thoughts 10/12/2010 (Where Good Ideas Come From, Open Source)

Smiles Digital ID: 1258991. New York Public Library

Smiles, Galloway
Daily Thoughts 10/12/2010

Today has started off quietly.  I checked the displays.  I also had a meeting with a gentleman from SCORE Counselors to America's Small Business to set up one on one counseling sessions.  I think it went well.  I also called the EERE Information Center to request promotional material for Energy Awareness month which is this month, October.

I also did some weeding in the oversize 300s and picked out some large print books to go on the bookmobile which will go out tomorrow.

Sometimes, I think about open source.  I use Open Office  http://www.openoffice.org/ at home.  Also, I've found many social networks are built on open source code.  Digg, Twitter, and Facebook use Cassandra as the backend database http://cassandra.apache.org/

I read some more of Where Good Ideas Come From by Stephen Johnson on the train home.  He is talking about how accidents create many new ideas.  He also reminds us that near perfect Six Sigma environments are not conducive to accidents of design that lead to innovation.  I like his admonition that it is just as importan to browse through the web and through libraries to find good ideas as it is to write everything down.  I do both daily.

No comments: