Monday, April 16, 2012

Daily Thoughts 04/16/2012


Photograph of Representative Gerald R. Ford Paging Through a Bound Copy of 1952 Congressional Hearings

Daily Thoughts 04/16/2012

I am back at work today.  I spent some time checking the gift books.  I also updated the current events display.  There are some interesting activities happening around the Arctic.  As the ice melts, more resources become available.

I also spent some time reconsidering things like programs and other things.  I have quite a lot to think about.  I had a huge stack of mail to go through.  I also have to look through my old advanced reading copies. 

I printed up some more bookmarks for the display stand for Inspirational Fiction, Poetry, and Graphic Novels.  People like them.  They are a pathfinder because they list books in our library.

The book, An Economist Gets Lunch by Tyler Cowen came in for me to read.  I took a walk at lunch today to relax.

I also went through a bunch of my old mail.  I have Library Journal, Booklist, Forecast from Baker and Taylor, Booklist, and Publishers Weekly to read.  I have a little catching up to do.

I also am planning on reading Too Big To Know by David Weinberger.  I am looking through Forecast right now, The book, Birdseye: the Adventures of A Curious Man by Mark Kurlansky seems intriguing.  It is the story of the person who invented the freezing process for vegetables.

Another book which caught my attention is The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create A New Future by Chris Guillebeau.  I think the author was reading this book at an event at New Work City in Manhattan on May 8, 2012.  Chris Guillebeau has a very interesting blog called The Art of Non-Conformity http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/

I started reading An Economist Gets Lunch.  His argument is that inexpensive food does not have to taste bad or be bad for you.  Right now I am reading about how prohibition destroyed many of America's best restaurants and changed the way Americans eat.  The ideas are a little bit unexpected.

Web Bits

The London Book Fair 2012:  The Great Debate Will Publishers Perish?
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/international/london-book-fair/article/51533-london-book-fair-2012-the-great-debate-will-publishers-perish-.html

There is a second thread which is happening about the survival of bookstores.  The question is will Barnes and Noble not do too well?  It is not being discussed here.  The IDPF International Digital Publishing at Book Expo America in June should be quite revealing about the survival of the book industry.

On-demand Printing Helps Sustain the Printed Page
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/demand-printing-helps-sustain-printed-page 

The Portal Problem Part 2: The Plight of the Library Collection
http://www.teleread.com/library/the-portal-problem-part-2-the-plight-of-the-library-collection/?goback=.gmp_2655023.gde_2655023_member_108169995




No comments: