Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Daily Thoughts 11/05/2014


Daily Thoughts 11/05/2014

On the way to work, I finished reading Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie.  I like the main character.  But, the setting is astounding.  The Radchaaii who have conqured most of human space are a society where women run things.  The common word for person is she.  They are warriors, poets, and extremely focused on manners.  It is very different from most science fiction I have read.

Ancillary Sword has a lot to say about colonialism and conquered people.  The conquered people are treated as laborers, have their culture taken from them, and their religion, music, and poetry absorbed into the Radchaaii pantheon.  This creates plenty of conflict for the main character Breq.  It was very absorbing reading.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I also posted a few events to the Mount Vernon Daily Voice and had some flyers printed.



I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.  I did some shifting in the 900s.



During lunch, I read the second volume in the graphic novel version of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.  The illustrations are quite beautiful.  P. Craig Russell is one of the illustrators.


I spent some time working with the oversize books.


On the way home, I read some of Bathing the Lion.  This is a bit different than Jonathan Carroll's other novels which are a mix of magical realism and fairytales in a modern setting.  I am finding the writing quite surreal with a focus on memories and sensory impressions.

No comments: