Saturday, May 27, 2017

Daily Thoughts 05/27/2017

Jean Renoir Writing, c.1899 - Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Jean Renoir Writing, Pierre Auguste-Renoir, 1899

Daily Thoughts 05/27/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read a little bit of Seasteading How Floating Nations Will Restore The Environment, Enrich the Poor, Cure the Sick, and Liberate Humanity from Politicians by Joe Quirk with Patri Friedman last night on the train home.  The train got stuck for an hour.  This is a techno utopian book with touches of Silicon Valley Libertarian idealism.  It is entertaining and more than a little wacky.  It is a science fiction trope described as a modern possibility.  It reminds me of the book, A Floating City by Jules Verne published in 1871.

I also read some more of We Have No Idea.  I am read a chapter on extra dimensions as well as the possibility of faster than light.  I like this book because there is a lot of humor in it.  One of the authors Jorge Cham is the writer of the web comic, Piled Higher and Deeper.  There are numerous science puns and small cartoons throughout the book.

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.  I am looking at the book, The Laws of Success Psychology and the Secret of Investing Success by Dr. Daniel Crosby.  This is a book of behavioral economics written for lay people.

I am going to Book Expo America this week. 

I am looking at the book, Seeds on Ice Svalbard and the Global Seed Vault by Cary Fowler, Photography by Mari Tefre, Introduction by Sir Peter Crane.  I find the pictures and idea of a repository for seeds rather interesting.  It is not something which I plan on taking out.  I just like to look at the pictures.


Book Expo Librarians Lounge Schedule


Back in the Big Apple | BEA Preview 2017


Book Expo 2017: Welcome to the Library


 


Web Bits


Please Preserve Funding for IMLS, NEA, NEH, and PBS


Detroit: From Bankruptcy to Books

No comments: