Saturday, January 17, 2009

Daily Thoughts

Doctor Livesey and Squire Trelawney inspecting the map of Treasure Island


Daily Thoughts

Libraries as part of the economic recovery. http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6630256.html?desc=topstory


Library funds available through the economic stimulus package.
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ala-stimulus-funding-summary2.pdf


I took a walk up to my local library this morning. It is very cold and clear out today. There is ice everywhere on the sidewalks. But, there is no wind which makes it nice to walk around outside. The air is very clean and fresh. I dropped off a few books in the bookdrop then came right home. I have enough movies to watch and books to read right now.


I am reading some more of Getting Things Done When You Are Not In Charge. The first chapter is on the difference between leading and managing. The second chapter is about how to bring change about at any level of an organization. It is quite interesting to read. The author talks about an I, You, Want, and Is triangle diagram. Hopefully, it will help me make some interesting decisions.


I took some time and looked through Sourceforge.net, ZDnet, PcMag, and MacWorld to look for keywords on new and popular products. We have a huge amount of back orders on computer books, the publishers are not able to stock them quickly enough, so I have to figure out new varieties of things to look for or order them direct.


Some interesting new words were Android, Audacity, Bittorrent, Cubase, Digital Television, Evernote, Flickr, Gimp, Google Chrome, Google Docs, Twitter, Turbotax, Windows Azure (cloud computing), and Windows 7.



Sometimes, you don't even realize the obvious, Library Journal has a complete almost monthly review list for computer titles. It should make things much easier for me. http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6608687.html?industryid=47113


For some reason, I have not been at my best today. I wish I was, but I'm not. Maybe, things will be much better tomorrow. I am looking forward to tomorrow.



No comments: