Thursday, January 30, 2014

Daily Thoughts 01/30/2014

Edouard Manet, Portrait of Emile Zola, 1868

Daily Thoughts 01/30/2014

I took a few days off to rest.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library. I also checked the displays and the gift books.  There was a photo shoot at the library for library marketing.  A variety of patrons got photos taken as well as staff.  I had my photograph taken next to the new books section.  We are starting a budget campaign in February.  There is a new catch phrase for the logo, "Where Opportunity Awaits".

I did an order of bestsellers.  We also got a nice donation of new books to be added.  On Friday, the displays change from National Financial Health Month to February is Black History Month.  There is also a display for Chinese new years which is this weekend.  It is the Year of the Horse.

The book Orfeo by Richard Powers came in for me to read.  I have a copy of the Times Literary Supplement and the New York Times Book Review to read.

I had a meeting with my colleague and the director.  We are focusing on weeding, updating the website, and adult programming.  I have a very solid idea of what we are planning for the Summer Reading Program and the displays already.  These are consistent each year.

The computer lab was open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  There was also a computer class tonight for Social Media focusing on Twitter and Facebook from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

There has been a lot of construction lately.  They are redoing the treads on the entryway stairs right now.

On the way home, I read some of Orfeo by Richard Powers.  The main character is a musician steeped in classical music.  He is a clarinetist which matches well with the idea of the tragedy of Orpheus.  There is also a bit of tragedy in the opening of the book with his dog dying.  It is a bit different.  I am reading commentary Mahler, Stravinsky,  and Beethoven not something I normally do.  Even though it is literature, it creates a break from the literary mood.

Web Bits

America's First Bookless Public Library Appears to be a Success
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2014/0128/America-s-first-bookless-public-library-appears-to-be-a-success-video

11th Annual Bookfinder.com Report Out-of-Print and In Demand
http://www.bookfinder.com/books/bookfinder_report/BookFinder_Report_2013.mhtml

No comments: