Friday, February 7, 2014

Daily Thoughts 02/07/2014


Daily Thoughts 02/07/2014

On the way to work, I read some more of The Ministry of Guidance Invites You Not to Stay An American Family In Iran.  This is about an American family who spends a year in Iran.  Hooman Majd, the author has a very interesting background, he is a journalist, and his father was a diplomat under the Shah of Iran which makes for a very politically challenging book.  It is more than a political book, however, it gives lot of details about everyday life. Some things  which he writes about like Iranians love for children,  the pollution in Tehran,  the ready access to satellite television, and constant surveillance by the state create a intriguing view of Iran.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  We had a management meeting this morning.  There is going to be an open house for the library on February 24.  Our 501 (c) 3 has been restored which allows us to order discounted software from Techsoup http://www.techsoupforlibraries.org/  which has a nice selection of discounted software licenses for libraries. Our budget is going out for vote in April most likely.

I had another meeting this afternoon to discuss March and April's computer classes.  I ordered a few art books from the Distribution to Underserved Communities Library Program. http://www.ducprogram.org/index.html

I spent a little time putting out tax forms for a colleague today.  I also put out some pamphlets from the Federal Trade Commission on things like buying a used car, identity theft, and buying a franchise.

I spent some time working with the oversize books.  I will probably doing some shifting in the oversize books soon.  I also checked out the book, UI is Communication How to design intuitive, user-centered interfaces by focusing on effective communication by Everett N. McKay.

Web Bits


Pew Internet Advocacy Tools for Librarians

I am thinking about going to the Urban Librarians Conference

Who Says Libraries Are Going Extinct?
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/says-libraries-going-extinct-73029/

No comments: