Friday, February 28, 2014

Daily Thoughts 02/28/2014

Maria Sacchi Reading, Umberto Boccioni, 1907

Daily Thoughts 02/28/2014

Last night, I read the Fables in all the land.  I read Fables for the writing.  Bill Willingham does a fantastic job of writing for comic books.  This graphic novel has a lot of different illustrators with a number of short interconnected stories.  It is the writing which pulls it together.

I went to the Simon and Schuster, Inc.  Summer 2014 Educator and Librarian Preview.  It was the first time I had been to the Simon and Schuster building.  Most of the events that I have attended with publishers have been in other venues like the McGraw Hill Building.

It was a pleasant event.  The coffee and breakfast sandwiches were good.  The program ran a half hour over, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m..  They gave us a bag of advanced reading copies mostly coming out in June, July, and August from the different Simon and Schuster imprints like Atria Books, Gallery Books, and Touchstone Books.  Most of the material was new bestsellers from major authors like Stephen King, Mary Alice Monroe, Martha Grimes, Philippa Gregory, Brad Thor, and other major authors.

I like that the editors slipped in a few of their own favorites like the nonfiction book, I Heard My Country Calling by James Webb, and All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr which were not in the program book.  There were a lot of advanced reader editions, but a few of them I had to request because they were not there yet like Born Reading Bringing Up Bookworms in a Digital Age From Picture Books to eBooks and Everything Inbetween by Jason Boog  and Dear Leader by Jang Jin-Sung.

Each of the editors of the different imprints from Simon and Schuster discussed their books.  Something I found interesting is that some of the editors were cultivating writers to move from the midlist to the bestseller lists like Lisa Jewell.  I think many of the books that were discussed will be New York Times Bestsellers.

When I got back I spent a little time working on programming.  I also checked the displays.  Tomorrow is Women's History Month.

Annhilation: A Novel by Jeff Vandermeer came in for me to read.  Also, the book, Words Will Break Cement The Passion of Pussy Riot by Masha Gessen came in for me to read.

Web Bits

Audiobooks and the Return of Storytelling
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/opinion/sunday/luhrmann-audiobooks-and-the-return-of-storytelling.html
For some reason I never listen to audiobooks.

No comments: