Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Daily Thoughts 08/20/2014

James Sant, The Fairytale, Between 1845 and 1870

Daily Thoughts 08/20/2014

This morning, I checked the library Twitter and Facebook.  I checked the displays and the gift books.  I am putting a display for Banned Books Week focusing on graphic novels.

I spent some time working on the staffing report for my department.  I am getting ready for the end of summer reading tomorrow.  There is going to be a jazz band, Cookie Thomas, playing between 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. tomorrow as part of the end summer reading celebration.

I read a copy of Library Journal and Publishers Weekly today.  I put the book, The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel J. Levitin on hold.

On the way home, I started reading No Place to Hide, Edward Snowden The NSA and the U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald.  Glenn Greenwald is Edward Snowden's first journalistic contact according to this book.  The book is about surveillance and how every person is basically under surveillance in the United States using various monitoring devices for the internet, phone, and computer.  I found some of the ideas in the book a bit naive, that PGP pretty good privacy will protect your email and you can have a safe laptop if it is not connected to the internet.  I have always been taught since I was small that there is no such thing as a secure electronic device.


Web Bits

Celebrate the Freedom to Read with CBLDF's New Banned Book Week Handbook
http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/node/3236

ALA Trends Report Policy Revolution
http://www.districtdispatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ALA_Trends_Report_Policy_Revolution_Aug19_2014.pdf


Ferguson Library A Refuge for Adults and Children Amid Strife
 http://abcnews.go.com/US/ferguson-library-refuge-adults-children-amid-strife/story?id=25050930#.U_USOLxQGak.gmail

No comments: