Friday, September 23, 2011

Daily Thoughts 9/23/2011

Damon Runyon. 

Daily Thoughts 9/23/2011

I read some of Studs Terkel A Life In Words on the train to work.  I learned that Studs Terkel was born in the Bronx and grew up in New York until he was eight; then he moved to Chicago.  The biography is interesting in that it is mostly interviews.  I did not know that Studs Terkel was known as much for his work in radio as his books.  While reading the book, I came across the name of Damon Runyon.  I remember reading his short stories.  I picked up a biography of him by Jimmy Breslin called Damon Runyon A Life.

This morning, I updated the Twitter and Facebook accounts and checked the displays.  I got a shipment of Advanced Reading Copies from Library Journal which I opened this morning.  One book looks particularly interesting, The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson.  It is a thriller set in North Korea.  Another book which caught my eye is Rust by Julie Mars which is about an artist who moves from New York City to New Mexico.  I enjoy reading and getting Advanced Reading Copies.

This afternoon I spent some time talking about programming.  We may have some more programming in november or december from the Women's Enterprise Development Center.  There also may be an exhibit from the Mount Vernon school district soon.


No comments: