Thursday, September 8, 2011

Daily Thoughts 9/8/2011

Man Sitting on a Log, 1895, Karoly Ferenczy
Daily Thoughts 9/8/2011

I read some more of A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin.  I especially like the character of Tyrione Lannister.  He is wonderfully wicked.

I checked the displays and printed some more flyers for events.  I put in a display for computer books and put some fliers for our different computer activities in the display including fliers about our E-readers and social media presence on Twitter and Facebook.

I put the book Willpower Rediscovering The Greatest Human Strength by Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney on hold.  A book that caught my attention is A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krauss which is a scientific argument for the reason why the universe exists.  It is coming out in January of 2012.

I also put the graphic novel The influencing machine : Brooke Gladstone on the media / illustrated by Josh Neufeld ; with additional penciling by Randy Jones and Susann Ferris-Jones.  I like reading nonfiction graphic novels.

The book Blur How To Know What's True In The Age of Information Overload by Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenthal came in for me to read.

I read a bit more of A Dance With Dragons on the train home.

I noticed while looking through the Sony Reader store that both the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times were 99 cents for single issues. This is half of the $2.00 price on the newsstands.  It also appears to be true of magazines as well.  PC Magazine was listed at $1.49 per issue for each monthly issue.  It is something to consider trying out.

Web Bits

Permanence Matters-- a campaign for quality paper in printed books.
http://www.permanencematters.com/

No comments: