Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Daily Thoughts 10/03/2012

[Exterior view. Bronze doors to the right of the central entrance representing Writing by Olin L. Warner. Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building, Washington, D.C.] Date Created/Published: 2007. 

Daily Thoughts 10/03/2012

I read a bit of A Universe from Nothing this morning.  I learned that 70% of energy in the universe is dark matter located in space.  It is an interesting book.  The ideas involving quantum mechanics and how it interacts with Einstein's General Theory of Relativity are sometimes hard to grasp, but make you think.  I also read some more of Madrigal's Magic Keys to Spanish.

In addition, I learned about a few things.  The annual meeting for Metro, New York is on October 29, 2012.  I am a My Metro member.  There is also a virtual conference going on right now called Library 2.0.  It is free to attend and runs from October 3-5. http://www.library20.com/

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I am working late tonight.  This afternoon, I checked the displays.  This week is Banned Books Week, September 30- October 6, 2012.  I also did a little more link checking on the website.  The clerks are checking the fiction paperbacks right now.

I spent some time looking for books on drawing and cartooning which are very popular at my library.  I also looked at books for the Job Information Center and popular computer titles.  We have a lot of resumes books.  Digital video and digital music are popular as well.

One book which I saw while looking through different sites was The One World School House Education Reimagined by Salman Khan.  Salman Khan is the founder of the Khan Academy. The Khan Academy has over 3400 free instructional videos.

The computer lab was open today from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
I have to read through the latest Publishers Weekly and the latest Library Journal.

Web Bits

Fast Pencil, Autographics Team for Library Publishing Platform
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/book-news/libraries/article/54202-fastpencil-auto-graphics-team-for-library-publishing-platform.html
This is an interesting idea.  I have heard about writing groups sometimes producing chapbooks at libraries.


This article covers a book being set up on Kickstarter by Kim Krizan.

Self-Publishing for 'Dangerous Women'
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/pw-select/article/54164-pw-select-october-2012-self-publishing-for--dangerous-women--.html

No comments: