Friday, February 1, 2013

Daily Thoughts 02/01/2013

Ambrosius Benson, The Persian Sybil, 1530s, Oil on Panel

Daily Thoughts 02/01/2013

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and gift books.  I spent a little time looking over the new books section as well.

I finished reading the January 28, 2013 Publishers Weekly this morning.  There are a few forthcoming books which look very interesting; Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan and The Autistic Brain: Thinking About the Spectrum by Temple Grandin and Richard Panek.  Temple Grandin is a high functioning autistic person.

I am looking at The Annotated Frankenstein Edited by Susan J. Wolfson and Ronald Levao, The Belknap Press of Harvard University, c2012.  I like the illustrations a great deal.  There are some beautiful illustrations by Lynd Ward as well as some rather stark pictures of the arctic.

I took a look through the latest purchase alerts.  Our collection management sheet for patron requests is not full yet.  I spent a few minutes looking at a graphic novel service for libraries.  http://iversemedia.com/products/comicsplus-library-edition/

This is the listing for the NAACP Image Awards.  The literature section is on P.7 and 8.
http://www.naacpimageawards.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/44th-NIA-Nominations_Final_Release.pdf

The book, The Lights in the Tunnel: Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future by Martin Ford has come in for me to read.  It is an another book about how automation effects economies.

Web Bits

One Authors Kickstarter Experience
http://toc.oreilly.com/2013/02/one-authors-kickstarter-experience.html

No comments: