Thursday, February 28, 2013

Daily Thoughts 02/28/2013

Geb[ho] no atamazori, Print shows a woman reading, sitting in a chair, at a cabinet containing tea service utensils, on the wall behind her is a print showing two of the seven lucky gods, Daikokuten shaving Fukurokuju's head.  Between 1818 and 1830.

Daily Thoughts 02/28/2013

I checked the Facebook and Twitter for the library this morning.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.

I spent some time on Baker & Taylor's Titlesource 3 ordering fiction and nonfiction books.  I find it very easy to use with an intuitive interface.  I was able to find almost everything I was looking for.  I also checked with my rep to make sure that my orders were in place properly.

The computer lab was open in the afternoon from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  I did not get a chance to check the 900s today.

On the way home, I read some more of How the Mind Works.  I found his arguments about consciousness and sentience to not be very convincing.  Steven Pinker basically says that there is no adequate way to define consciousness.  I was hoping for a little more.  Right now, I am reading about the evolution of human intelligence which is quite interesting.  There is a chart on pages 198 and 199 which describes the development of people from ape like ancestors to modern humans.

The National Endowment for the Arts Read Across America day is on March 2, 2013.  It celebrates Dr. Seuss's birthday.  I am quite fond of Dr. Seuss.  The Mount Vernon Public Library is open on Saturday.

http://pinterest.com/somerslibrary/read-across-america/

No comments: