Thursday, April 25, 2013

Daily Thoughts 04/25/2013

Portrait of Sir Isaac Newton, circa 1726, by Enoch Seeman

Daily Thoughts 04/25/2013

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.

Last night, I finished reading the second novel in the book Loose Cannon by David Drake called Fortress.  Fortress was a bit of a lark.  Tom Kelly, unpredictable agent, defeats the nazi terrorists who have taken over the American Strategic Defense Initiative superfortress in orbit with the help of little green men.  This is over the top silliness written in a very serious tone. 

I read some more of the Lean Entrepreneur on the way to work.  The authors describe how lean entrepreneurship came out of the Toyota model of lean manufacturing and kaizen or continuous improvement.  They describe how lean entrepreneurs also use a strong customer focus aimed at creating a salable product.

This morning, I checked the displays and the gift books.  There is going to be the Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library Book and Bake Sale on May 3 and May 4 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m..  It always has a nice feeling to it.  I like their coffee.

This afternoon the computer lab was open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m..  I helped some people print up some  travel information.

I read some of the New York Times Book Review.  I am going to start putting a cart of rush items for bestsellers and patron requests together next week.

On the way home, I read some more of the Lean Entrepreneur.   The authors are writing about how to create value and identify different groups of customers.  I also started reading Vote Yes for Libraries.  This book is about how to win library ballot initiatives.  Some of the issues being discussed are very similar to what is happening at our library.  The main focus is on Santa Cruz Public Library in California. I worked there as a page.


Web Bits

Kindle Singles Amazon's Stealth Publishing Imprint
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/04/23/kindle-singles-amazons-stealth-publishing-imprint/?goback=%2Egmp_2085962%2Egde_2085962_member_235342888#more-50073

No comments: