Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Daily Thoughts 12/02/2014

Raphael, School of Athens, 1505

Daily Thoughts 12/02/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.




I also read a bit more of Wherever You Go There You Are.   There are references to Buddhism, Taoism, and Sufism in the book in the context of paying attention and not doing certain things.


I also watched some of Brain Games by National Geographic.  This is Part 1.  It was about how the brain pays attention.  There was a bit on how hard it is for people to multitask as well as the limits of attention.  Part of the limits of attention section was about why it is so easy to be fooled by sleight of hand and magic tricks.



I spent some time working on the displays this morning.  I also checked the gift books and did a little work on ordering for next week.  I put the book, Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy The Many Faces of Anonymous by Gabrielle Coleman on hold.



Three books came in for me tor read, Bad Paper Chasing Debt from Wall Street to the Underworld by Jake Halpern, Blacksad A Silent Hell which is a graphic novel, and The Resurrectionist by E.B. Hudspeth which is horror.


On the way home I read some more of Wherever You Go There You Are.  I am reading about sitting meditation.


 I also read another Blacksad graphic novel.  This one was Blacksad A Silent Hell.  This book uses anthropomorphic characters.  The main character Blacksad is a humanoid cat who is a detective.  The artwork in this book is exceptional.  The cartoon panels are done with watercolor.  The artists often use washes in blue, yellow, red, and other color to add tone to the panels.


The setting is New Orleans in the 1950s which makes for a very colorful background.  There are also many musical references to jazz.  The story is fairly hardboiled with lots of action, drinking, drugs, and sexuality.   There is also some skullduggery.  It is a story meant for adults.  The story is translated from Spanish.  http://blacksad-gallery.blogspot.com/


I watched some more of Brain Games from National Geographic when I got home.  I was watching about how we can fool ourselves when we look at color and shadow.




Web Bits



Science Shows Something Surprising About People Who Love Reading Fiction
http://mic.com/articles/104702/science-shows-something-surprising-about-people-who-love-reading-fiction




What’s Going on in the Library? Part 1, Librarian Publishers May Be More Important Than You Think




New York Public Library Expands Free Wi-Fi Program








No comments: