Sunday, February 10, 2008

Morning Thoughts

A visitor at Googleplex in Mountainview, California signing in.


Right now, I am reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley, it is a Mythopoeic award winner. I am enjoying it tremendously. I am waiting for Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I was hoping that I could get the movie and the book so I could compare them. I will probably have to wait a couple months, I am number 142 for the waiting list on the film. Neil Gaiman is very popular.

He is so popular that people will treasure his signature on paper napkins and wait hours in line to see him read his book. I think he is one of those people who also conserves his signature, not giving it to anyone and everyone.

I have stacks of books at home waiting to be returned to the library. I have to be careful that I return everything. While fines sometimes are excused for people who work in the library, lost books are still charged to library workers. So, we do have to return books or end up paying for them eventually.

I read two professional journals online in addition to the ones in print. Reading Library Journal online lead me to this blog entry. Apparently it is not allowed to lend out Kindle ebook readers. I can't imagine we' ll have any reason to get kindle ebook readers. But, we do have laptops.
http://rochellejustrochelle.typepad.com/copilot/2008/01/loaning-kindle.html#comment-98970820

I also sometimes read Bookselling This Week, mainly for the book reviews.
http://news.bookweb.org/

I am looking for a good excuse to get away from my library for a day. I looked at Metro, the Metropolitan Library Council for New York and they have a really interesting one day conference next month called "Google & Libraries", I think it will be both entertaining and on some levels very useful. I am going to try and go there. It may take some doing for me to convince them to let me go to this thing. On Monday, I am going to ask my supervisor if I can go to this thing. I hope they give me a badge so I can add it to my badge collection when I go.
http://www.metro.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=215&Itemid=424

4 comments:

Stella said...

Stardust is excellent. Perhaps not as good as Neverwhere, but it's really a different book altogether.

I haven't seen the movie version, but someone told me the adaptation is pretty loose.

Cowgirl Betty said...

I agree with stella. My all-time favorite is Neverwhere--made into a BBC miniseries with a budget of about 3 cents. ; ) I haven't read Stardust, though. I'll put in on my to-do list. I also enjoyed Good Omens, American Gods, and his amazing Sandman series of graphic novels.

Ugh . . . I guess I'm one of those fans who would wait in line for hours . . .

Book Calendar said...

I think I've seen Neverwhere, it is a kind of underground version of London, which people get to by slipping through the cracks in normal reality. When you read as much as I do, sometimes it gets a little fuzzy.

Cowgirl Betty said...

I bet LOL