Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Morning Thoughts, Afternoon Thoughts

Muse reading a scroll.


Morning Thoughts

I've had my coffee and I've done a few errands. I am working a little bit late tonight. They had copies of both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal at the diner I went to this morning. It is $1.50 for the Wall Street Journal, and $1.25 for the New York Times so it was a bargain. It is always nice to read the paper with your coffee. It is a very traditional thing to do.

I am heading off to work soon. I am bringing the new blank journal I have with the Cat In The Hat picture on it on the train with me this morning. I am hoping that I will get a chance to write some notes in it. It is time for me to head out the door.

I ordered some more social science books this morning. I am also going to put in an order for legal books for the layman. I'll order books from Sphinx Legal, Nolo Press, and the West Nutshell Series. These three series are good basic material for understanding the law in everyday terms.

On the train to work I read some more of The Public Domain How To Find & Use Copyright Free Writings, Music, Art and More. I am finding the book to be very interesting. For example the maximum fine that someone can receive for putting a copyright notice on a public domain item is $2500. This encourages people to claim copyright for things that probably should not be copyrighted.

Another example is that displaying an item in a museum or library is not an infringement of copyright because it is not an attempt to distribute the item to many users. There are a lot of really interesting facts in this book. Some of them are probably quite useful to people in the book business.

Afternoon Thoughts

There is a program running right now. A lawyer is doing an estate planning workshop in the community room. There are eleven people downstairs taking notes. She left a couple handouts with people. I asked the maintenance people to set up four tables with chairs so people could sit down and take notes. A few fellow staff members are downstairs taking notes.

I requested that the volunteers pick up some items for refreshments: 1 gallon of apple juice, 1 gallon of water, 1 packet of napkins, 1 packet of small paper plates, 1 pack of sandwich cookies, and 1 large container of strawberries. It is always important that the speaker have water to drink whether or not you are serving light refreshments. Remember this as a courtesy for every event.

No comments: