Sunday, July 25, 2010

Daily Thoughts 7/25/2010 ( Turning The Page Online Course, Cognitive Surplus, Reanimation Library )

A photochrom postcard published by the Detroit Photographic Company of the Library of Congress in the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Yale University.


Daily Thoughts 7/25/2010


This morning, I finished The Turning The Page online course for library advocacy. It was a challenge at some points mainly in navigating the class to make sure that I saw all the options. This would be a good free course to take if you want to clarify your message about why you should support the library and give funds to the library. I have a printout that acknowledges my taking the course. http://www.sustaininglibrariesonline.org/pla/index.asp




I read some more of Clay Shirky's Cognitive Surplus.  The author is describing how many people who are using the web are intrinsically motivated.  They are doing things because they enjoy them not necessarily for rewards.  They are also doing intrinsically motivated projects that scale communally like Wikipedia and other things.  This can range from the silly to the extremely relevant.  There is no reward for posting videos on Youtube or making a Facebook page.  People do it for social reasons.  I certainly am not being paid to write this blog.  Yet, I am learning how to use social media, improving my writing skills, and creating a sense of both open communication and self mastery. The ideas in this book reflect many of the actions which I am taking personally.  They are relevant to how people use the web and changes in communication and interaction caused by social media.




The Reanimation Library one of the odder library websites I have seen. http://www.reanimationlibrary.org/pages/about.htm

No comments: