Thursday, July 8, 2010

Daily Thoughts 7/8/2010

In the time of the Ptolemies :... Digital ID: 1619898. New York Public Library


In the time of the Ptolemies : The Alexandrian Library. (1908), Harpers Magazine, J. Andre Castaigne


Daily Thoughts 7/8/2010


There is an article up on Mount Vernon Public Library on the http://www.savelibraries.org/ website. It is the quietest it has been in a long time. I am spending a lot of time at the reference desk because our first job is to serve the patrons who come in. Providing the material and research which they need is what matters.


I had a little time to check the displays to make sure they were in order, look at the new books to see what was coming in, and take some time to do a little organizing of my desk. I also checked out The Zen of Social Media Marketing, An Easier Way To Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue by Shama Hyder Kabani.


The latest issue from Library Resources & Technical Services was sent to me as part of my membership to ALCTS. There is an article called Challenges and Responsibilities for Collection Management In a Digital Age by Tony Horava.


The library is very much down to a skeleton staff. Depending on what happens in the next week will determine a lot of what we are going to do in the coming year. I cannot imagine that it will be any easier next year.

I tired to read more of Fitzpatrick's War by Theodore Judson, but eventually lost interest in the story. I didn't find the historical reasoning for reverting to a steam age to be that convincing. I am going to return it tomorrow.

I have started reading the Zen of Social Media Marketing which is very much a kind of pep talk mixed with marketing and social media. Shama Hyder Kabali has the whole book online for free. It seems to be a way to sell her company. I am hoping I can find a few tips and tricks. So far, I really haven't found anything at all. It is happy fluff. A nice mental break from more serious reading.

No comments: