Thursday, February 14, 2013

Daily Thoughts 02/14/2013

WEST CHINA UNION UNIVERSITY - INTERIOR OF LIBRARY, Fred Rowntree & Sons Architects 1920

Daily Thoughts 02/14/2013

This morning, I checked the social media for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  I spent a little time checking the 900s as well.

Several books came in for me, Social Networking Business in a Week by Julien Sharp and Entrepreneur Press, Building Social Web Applications by Gavin Bell, and Designing for the Social Web by Joshua Porter.  I also checked out How The Mind Works by Steven Pinker.

The computer lab was open today between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. today.  I have to turn in my vacation schedule soon.  I am off next week.

I have started reading Designing for the Social Web by Joshua Porter.  It is a bit different than what I expected because it includes the social properties of companies like Ebay and Amazon, not just sites like Flickr or Facebook.  There is a real focus on exactly what makes a successful social site.  One of the features described is having a very singular focus like shopping, photographs, or job hunting.  Joshua Porter also tells us that the fastest growing technology companies are social and software is social because humans are social.


Web Bits

Urban Librarians Unite Plants Mini Libraries Plans Conference
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/02/advocacy/urban-librarians-unite-plants-mini-libraries-plans-conference/

Read Any Good Websites Lately? Book Lovers Talk Online
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/books/goodreadscom-is-growing-as-a-popular-book-site.html?ref=technology&_r=0

FCC Chairman Says Libraries Are More Important Than Ever
http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/02/fcc-chairman-says-libraries-are-more-important-than-ever/

No comments: