Monday, February 25, 2013

Daily Thoughts 02/25/2013

Jose Ferraz De Almeida Junior, Reading, 1892


Daily Thoughts 02/25/2013

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  March is Women's History Month.

Three books came in for me to read On the Map by Simon Garfield, The Federal Reserve and the Financial Crisis Lectures by Ben S. Bernanke, and The Future Six Drivers of Global Change by Al Gore.

I spent some time checking the 900s. I have quite a bit more to do.  I am back from vacation.  I have quite a few magazines to read, including Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, Booklist, the New York Times Book Review, Baker and Taylor Forecast, and Times Literary Supplement.

There is a new director at the Mount Vernon Public Library.  We discussed collection management.

On the way home, I read some more of Steven Pinker, How the Mind Works.  Steven Pinker is describing the computational theory of mind.  The description is very rational and is focused on information and symbolism.  I find it lacking in holism and very reductionist.  It is interesting reading.

Web Bits

The Weight of Books
http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-the-weight-of-books-20130225,0,1224401.story

A Personal History of Libraries by John Scalzi
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/02/23/a-personal-history-of-libraries/
I like John Scalzi's science fiction writing.

1 comment:

stainless steel handrail said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.