Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Daily Thoughts 02/26/2013



Le Philosophe (The Philosopher"), by Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier, oil on canvas, 1878


Daily Thoughts 02/26/2013

I checked the Facebook and Twitter accounts for the library. I also did some tallying of attendance for the computer lab and computer classes as well as email reference and social media followers.

I also spent some time putting together another list to check in the 900s.  In addition, I checked the displays and the gift books.  I have started the piles magazine reading I had for last week.  I am part of the way through Library Journal and finished reading the latest New York Times Book Reviews.  There is a new book by Buzz Aldrin coming out called Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration.

While reading through Booklist, I came across a new book by Jane Goodall and Gail Hudson called Seeds of Hope Wisdom and Wonder from the World of Plants.  There is an introduction to the book by Michael Pollan. It is coming out in April of 2013.  I think of chimpanzees mostly when I think of Jane Goodall.

I read some more of Steven Pinker, How The Mind Works.  It is a very rational book with a mix of dry, sarcastic humor.  These sentences from P.112, Paragraph 3 very much sum up the feel of the book.
It is the structuring of networks into programs for manipulating symbols that explains much of human intelligence.  In particular, symbol manipulation underlies human language and the parts of reasoning that interact with it.
While, I do not agree with some of the ideas in the book, I find them intriguing.  I prefer books with a little more uncertainty in them when I read about science.  Things like quantum mechanics and chaos theory are very satisfying to me.

Poll Should Mount Vernon or Its Schools Run the Library
http://mountvernon.dailyvoice.com/news/poll-should-mount-vernon-or-its-schools-run-library

Web Bits

What to Do With Raspberry Pi the New $35 Computer that Could Replace Your OPAC Terminals
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/02/hardware-2/what-to-do-with-a-raspberry-pi-the-new-35-computer-that-could-replace-your-opac-terminals/
It is an interesting idea from a library in Westchester, White Plains.

No comments: