Monday, August 5, 2013

Daily Thoughts 08/05/2013

The Difficult Reply, Guy Rose, 1910

Daily Thoughts 08/05/2013

I read Gabba Gabba Hey The Graphic Story of the Ramones over the weekend.  I liked the black and white art.  It had an almost photographic quality to it, much like duotone photographs.  There was a unique sensibility to the book because the artists were British.  They had a little bit of a punk sensibility and wrote some material on the Ramones in Britain.  There was also a little bit about Andy Warhol.  It makes me want to read about Warhol.  The book was very edgy.  The music group originated in Queens, New York.  They are very much a New York rock group.

I also finished reading I Wear the Black Hat Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman on the way to work.  The book was a cauldron of popular culture, a little Kareem Abdul Jabbar, a bit of Monica Lewinsky, some O.J. Simpson, a touch of Black Sabbath and Aleister Crowley, and a million other pop names.  A lot of it is about annoying popular figures like Perez Hilton or cartoons like Beavis and Butt-Head.  It was a real eclectic mish mash meant to be read as dark entertainment.  The book was on the New York Times Bestseller list.

This morning, I checked the displays and updated the social media for the library.  I also spent a little time doing some weeding from a list of zero circulation items.  I spent some time talking to the director about technology as well.  I have to work on getting someone new for the computer lab.  I also have to look at some ebook providers like 3M and Axis 360.

On the way home, I started reading Operation Storm Japan's Top Secret Submarines and Its Plan to Change the Course of World War II  by John J. Geoghegan. This is an unusual story. Admiral Yamamoto planned to send a fleet of submersible aircraft carriers to attack New York and Washington D.C..  Japan during World War II used submarines to carry airplanes mainly to scout for the navy.

Web Bits

The Power of Shelvers
http://librarylostfound.com/2013/07/30/the-power-of-shelvers/
I was a shelver at one point.

No comments: