Friday, August 9, 2013

Daily Thoughts 08/09/2013

Isaac Israels, Girl Reading on a Divan, 1920

Daily Thoughts 08/09/2013

I finished reading Operation Storm Japan's Top Secret Submarines and Its Plan to Change the Course of World War II.  John J. Geoghegan demonstrates meticulous research, there are extensive notes, a section of photographs, acknowledgements from many of the original crew of the I-400 Japanese submarine as well as the submarine which captured it, the Segundo.  In addition, there is an Index, Epilogue, and list of sources cited.

I read a little more of Babayaga by Toby Barlow. There is a fantastic sequence where a witch turns a policeman into a flea.  This is one of the best transformation descriptions I have ever read.

This morning, I checked the social media and the displays.  I also gathered some statistics.  We had a management meeting this morning where we discussed digital resources like Zinio which is an online magazine service http://www.zinio.com 

We also confirmed that we are definitely getting Overdrive Advantage.  We are also getting a number of devices including an Ipad Mini, a Kindle Fire, a Google Nexus 7, and a few other things.  Yesterday, I got confirmation that the computer classes are being extended for the full year.  Hopefully, we should have some device classes in September.

We also spent some time discussing weeding.

I checked out the book, After the Fall Before The Fall During the Fall by Nancy Kress which won the 2013 Nebula Award for Novella.

I had a second meeting today discussing digital classes.  We may have a Spanish language computer class soon.  We also may have a Computers for Seniors class.  There are a few people I have to contact.  I also registered for a One Click Digital Webinar on Tuesday from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.






No comments: