Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Daily Thoughts 03/05/2014

Portrait of Rodo Pisarro Reading, Camille Pisarro, c1899-c1900

Daily Thoughts 03/05/2014

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also made sure some flyers were printed for two programs, a talk about a Diabetes Walk Across America on March 15, 2014 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and a Biography Book Discussion on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

I spent a little time discussing ordering with a colleague.  I also checked the displays and did a book display on books related to Downtown Abbey, the television show.

The book, No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin came in for me to read.  I also read the latest copy of the New York Times Book Review and Baker and Taylor Forecast.  I noticed there is a new book called The Zero Marginal Cost Society:  the Internet of Things, The Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism by Jeremy Rifkin coming out on April 1, 2014.  It should be provocative reading.  It is a subject that is at best difficult and controversial.

On the way home, I read some more of Learning to Breathe by Priscilla Warner.  Each chapter seems to focus on some different kind of buddhist meditation or therapy.  The author visits various retreats where she does drawing meditation, walking meditation, gets a massage which features some kind of body work to remove trauma, or takes in a therapy session with guided imagery.  Mixed in with this are various traumatic childhood experiences from her fathers bankruptcy to her mothers breakdown.  It is not what I usually read.

Web Bits

The Digital Comics Museum
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

No comments: