Friday, October 31, 2014

Daily Thoughts 10/31/2014


Fountain Pen Nib, Egypt, 18th to 19th Century CE

Daily Thoughts 10/31/2014

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

I read some more of How Google Works.  I learned about Jeff Bezos's idea that the right size of a team is two pizzas (The Two Pizza Rule.).

On the train home, I read Mount Vernon Revisited.  There were a few photographs that were related to the Mount Vernon Public Library which were quite relevant.  I also learned some local history.

I watched part of this webinar.  It should be very useful for libraries.
Webinar Archive Available 2.2 Billion Reasons Libraries Should Care About WIOA
http://www.districtdispatch.org/2014/10/webinar-archive-available-2-2-billion-reasons-libraries-care-wioa/

I rewatched the webinar and learned quite a bit.  It looks like a huge government initiative.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  I also did a little work with programming.  I did a little more shifting in the 900s.

I put Volume 2 of The Graveyard Book Graphic Novel on hold.

I read some more of The Summer of Yes by Karen Leahy.  This book is more than a memoir about becoming a nun then leaving the convent.  It is also about art and music.  The author becomes an english teacher when she joins the order.  Her family tells stories and sings. The writing is superb.The book was a finalist for the Benjamin Franklin Award from the Independent Book Publishers Association.  The book is self published.

I read some more of How Google Works on the way home.  The book has a lot of content about the idea of the "smart creative".  My impression is that Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg are writing about engineers with design skills, or artists with strong computer skills.  The triad of technology, design, and business which drives modern technology companies.

Web Bits

US Adds Poverty to Dangerous Reading Lists

Telescope Checkout Program Comes to City, County Libraries
This is the first time I have seen anything like this.
                                                                   
Google's Secretive DeepMind Startup Unveils a "Neural Turing Machine"
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/532156/googles-secretive-deepmind-startup-unveils-a-neural-turing-machine/

No comments: