Thursday, December 25, 2014

Daily Thoughts 12/25/2014


Daily Thoughts 12/25/2014

I checked my email this morning for work. I also checked the Facebook and Twitter accounts for thelibrary.  I did not look at it for the last four days.  I am off this week.  I am trying to relax and not do too much that is much that is library oriented.   I mostly relaxed and tried to do nothing. It is good to do nothing sometimes.

I read two biographies, One Lucky Bastard by Roger Moore which is a bit risque and shows how much of a raconteur, bon vivant, and working actor that Roger Moore is.  It is a very entertaining and sometimes surprising story.

I also read Sophia Loren, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow My Life which is an autobiography.  Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow is the title of a film where Sophia Loren plays a stripper.  The book is very sophisticated.   There is a lot of hardship: a poor childhood, multiple miscarriages, legal complications in marriage, and prison for tax issues.  This is easily eclipsed by the story of a beautiful, capable, and driven personality. It is a story of a person who rises to the top of their profession not just in acting in the traditional sense, but also ties it with extraordinary beauty, fashion, and passion for life.  Sophia Loren wrote two cookbooks and did a variety of interesting things.  I read this book for my book club.

I started reading Leading the Life You Want Skills for Integrating Work and Life by Stewart D. Friedman.  I first saw this book in Barnes and Noble.  It is published by Harvard Business Review Press.

Web Bits


Opinion From Vicious to Virtuous : The Collapse of U.K. Libraries and Unbreaking the Cycle of Library Support

Seven Things I’ll Miss About The Traditional Library

Clash In the Stacks

Thirsty, Go To A Library Not A Coffee Shop
I am not that fond of the hipster ethic.

Libraries Can Provide Patrons With Sanctuary In Many Forms

A nice reminder that libraries are safe havens, quiet places for thinking, and places of culture.

Books Suck: Why I Love My Kindle More Than Dead Trees




No comments: