Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Daily Thoughts 01/05/2016

Georgiana Burne-Jones by Edward Coley Burne-Jones.jpg
Georgiana Burne-Jones by Edward Coley Burne-Jones, December 31, 1882

Daily Thoughts 01/05/2016

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.


Last night, I read some more of The Girls of Atomic City.  There is quite a bit on secrecy.  Everyone spied on everyone else.  The work was broken up into small pieces and people were shown how to do things, but not why they were done.  Every person who came on board was given a thorough background check.  People were also forbidden to discuss their work.

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.  I also placed an order for new books.

I have been reading through several copies of Publishers Weekly and a copy of the New York Review of Books.  I have a copy of the latest Ingram Advance to read as well as two copies of the New York Times Book Review.

I am looking at the Sparks Ignition Grants for Libraries.  https://www.imls.gov/grants/available/sparks-ignition-grants-libraries

We had a training sessions for Westlawnext which is a legal database.

I also spent some time training a new person on the reference desk.  He is going to be shown different things by several of my colleagues.

Tonight we have a Fundamentals of Computer Class and  a Beginning Microsoft Word class.

Metro's 2016 Annual Conference: Our Selected Project Briefings.
http://metro.org/articles/metros-2016-annual-conference-our-selected-project-briefings/
I am looking forward to this.

I am also looking forward to the Urban Librarians Unite Conference
http://www.urbanlibrariansconference.org/speakers-2016/


Web Bits


Bill Gates on Why He Reads

Osher Map Library at University of Southern Maine Digitizes Its Rare Globe Collection

No comments: