Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Daily Thoughts 01/13/2015

File:American homes and gardens (1913) (14781407931).jpg
American Home and Garden 1905

Daily Thoughts 01/13/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

On the way to work, I finished reading We Robots, Staying Human in the Age of Big Data by Curtis White.  I like how this book ends.  Curtis White describes how art can counter mass culture and that we do not have to participate if we do not want to.  His argument focuses on how we can write and express our own narrative through art.  He also makes a statement that often the best way to protest is not political, but through living a different lifestyle that is artistic and counterculture.  We have a right to choose how we live.

I was listening to the radio when I heard about an initiative to open more bookstores in Queens, New York after the Barnes and Nobles around the borough shut down.  This is the initiative.  http://www.thequeensbookshop.squarespace.com/

It reminds me about the need to have places where people can think and read in public.

No comments: