Thursday, February 9, 2017

Daily Thoughts 02/09/2017


Ryūryūkyo Shinsai (Japanese, active ca. 1799–1823), Books 

Daily Thoughts 02/09/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of Ghetto The Invention of a Place last night on the train home from work.  I am reading about Housing Covenants or legal restrictions that people placed on housing that limited what could of person could live where.  These were used extensively in Chicago to limit what race or religion lived in a particular place.  Even though it is not in the books, housing covenants were used extensively on Asians in Seattle, Washington, and were aimed at creating laws on racial purity.  They were a way to restrict where people lived.  Local realtors and churches often supported them.

I also had a chance to look at Atlas Obscura which lists odd, obscure, and curious places all over the world with short descriptions.  There all kinds of things from the Babbage Engine #2 to the Cathedral of Junk to the Big Baobab.  It is an entertainingly odd book.

I worked a little bit on my interview for the Budget and Finance class.

The library is closed right now due to inclement weather.  I am at home sitting at my computer typing away.

I ordered the book Managing Budgets and Finance by Hallam and Dalston today for my library course.

No comments: