Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Daily Thoughts 08/06/2013

The Book Lover, Frantisek, Kupka, 1897
Daily Thoughts 08/06/2013

This morning, I read some more of Operation Storm.  The author John J. Geoghegan specializes in writing about unusual inventions.  The central device in this story is the Japanese I-400, a submarine capable of carrying 2 float planes for very long distances.  It was a disruptive technology in its time.  It reminds me of other examples of disruptive technology which did not appear to go anywhere like the Convair Sea Dart, a jet powered seaplane which only flew as a prototype, or the Lockheed Martin P-791 Stealth Blimp.  The book itself is very much about how technology develops and choices people make.

This morning, I checked the social media for the library.  I also checked the displays.  I spent a little time looking at the Overdrive Advantage program for libraries.  Hopefully, by the end of the week, all the fiction books will be put back in the fiction room.  I am looking forward to it.

I spent a little bit of time on weeding today.  We also had two computer classes; a Microsoft Word class and a Fundamentals of Computer Operations class.

On the way home, I read a little bit of The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.  Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors.

Web Bits

If You Don't Have Time for Partnerships Chances Are Your Community Won't Have Time for You
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/08/marketing/if-you-dont-have-time-for-partnerships-chances-are-your-community-wont-have-time-for-you/


No comments: