Friday, January 30, 2015

Daily Thoughts 01/30/2015


Daily Thoughts 01/30/2015

On Thursday, January 29, 2015, I handed out the chapbooks to the students of the Mount Vernon Poetry Workshop.  This completes a project where there were 12 classes on poetry including a final student reading and a chapbook published at the end.  It is something that I have wanted to do for a while.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the gift books and the displays.  I spent some time working on the oversize 600s.

I also did some followup on some future programming and displays.   There is a teacher for Zentangles which is kind of interesting.   A colleague is working on a display for African American films.  In addition I did a little follow up on patron requests made for material through email.

I finished reading The World of Raymond Chandler.  I liked the quotes, the over 100 pictures, and the content.  It was a very satisfying read about a classic hard boiled mystery writer.

I put in an order for e-books today.

On the way home, I read some more of The Whispering Storm.  Michael Moorcock has escaped to alternate place in London which he calls Alsacia where he sleeps and carouses with Moll Midnight away from his wife and family.  It is a bit uncomfortable reading.  Alsacia for Michael Moorcock is a place outside of time in a different world.

I find this a little uncomfortable.  It is easy enough if you look in the right places to find ways to live off the grid without electricity and partake of various unusual lifestyles from hippy communes to religious communities.  Alsacia reminds me of many of the excesses which occur around fantasy fandom from medieval mysticism to practicing broadsword fencing in padded armor to drunken costume parties.

No comments: