Thursday, October 6, 2016

Daily Thoughts 10/6/2016

File:Morning News, by Ellen Day Hale.jpg
Morning News, Ellen Day Hale, 1905

Daily Thoughts 10/06/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of Time Travel by James Gleick on the way to work.  I am reading about Uchronia or alternative history.  The author is discussing Philip K. Dick's famous novel, The Man in the High Castle.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  I did some weeding in the holiday books and printed up some flyers.  We sent out our first Books by Mail for the homebound today.

I worked with a new colleague to help place an order for 3M Cloud Library.

There is a Tablets Class tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

I spent some time discussing computers with our technician.  We should be able to have some minor changes coming up.

On the way home, I read some more of Time Travel.  I am reading about the grandfather paradox where if you travel back in time you could be your own father or mother as well as paradoxes of time travel.

I also read some more of Jerusalem by Alan Moore.  It seems to be more of a set of interconnected in a grand scheme than a novel with a central character.  The central point of story is the setting in England.  The setting exists in different time periods.  This is a different approach to storytelling.

Web Bits



What's The Future of Ownership
This is important because often we will buy the rights to use things but not own them.  It partially explains the idea of digital rights management which is part of electronic media like e-books  Rights of use also applies to physical objects like cell phones and cars which have software in them.

LIbraries Aren't A Source of Silence, But An Escape from It

Main Library Opens New Gaming Rooms

No comments: