Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts About Why I Am Blogging (Inspiration and Motivation)

Thoughts On Why I Am Blogging

There are many reasons for blogging. Some of them are not monetary and are very personal in nature. People have wanted to know more about me. Why do I put inane things in my blog? People have forgotten a large part of the history of blogging is about creating online journals. The most prominent of these sites is http://www.livejournal.com/ . It does not have bells and whistles and tons of widgets. People are writing a public journal. Ellen Datlow one of my favorite editors of fantasy has an excellent example of this. http://ellen-datlow.livejournal.com/

This blog is partially a public journal of what I am doing focused on my job and activities around books. It will include some inane tedious material because that happens to be what I am doing that particular day. Not everything being written is for you in a way. You can look at it and say why is he saying that? That has nothing to do with entertaining me. It is often about self-motivation to do things.

The little things matter to me. The coffee in the morning, the small poem, the nattering inane everyday things which run through my life. Maybe, I can make them more interesting to you by adding thoughts or reminiscences.

This is the essence of what many blogs are about. Poetic moments in a stormy life. This is one of the reasons at the top of the blog, I am a member of The Society of Midnight Wanderers which is a collection of blogs focused on writing, much of it poetic writing. I put in my poetry, partially because it is work related. I do read the poems I write here at work sometimes.

When I tell people I am going to write a review of Groundswell, Winning In A World Transformed by Social Technologies by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff at the laundromat, it does not mean I might write a review this afternoon. It means I have made a public affirmation that I will do something specific. The same thing happens when I say I am going to be attending the New York Anime Festival. I feel a certain responsibility to my readers to do that specific activity.

This blog has helped me focus on getting things done. I am a person that likes to do what I say I am going to do. For example, I just finished reading Linnea Sinclair's Shades of Dark. I will eventually review it, but not today.

Attitude and motivation are important to me. It is one of the reasons why I read Attitude the Ultimate Power. http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com/

Many, many bloggers use their blog as a source of inspiration and motivation. For example, I recently read Stephanie's Confessions of A Bookaholic. This is an excellent example of a post like this. http://stephaniesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/09/sunday-salon-out-of-kilter.html . It is a mix of books and thoughts all jumbled together. I wish her well.

Feel free to interject in what I am saying or make comments. There is nothing that is unexpected about a professional using a blog for this purpose.

No comments: