Friday, October 3, 2008

Home Again

A short rhyme for your entertainment.


Home Again

I am home again today. I am drinking chamomile tea right now. I found a lozenge candy that seems to help a bit better than regular cold medicine called Soothers whch combines echinacia, zinc, and vitamin c.

I wrote a short review of Too Many Curses. I also did a few more literary exercises from Writing Begins With the Breath. Here are two short poems that came from the literary exercises.

Death

I leave my old skin
And fly away, I know not where
I go skyward home

Body

A husk, an empty shell
With spirit floating away smokey white
Lingering in human thoughts

I rested some more and took some time to look at a few of the science fiction and fantasy art books which I collect. Some of my favorite artists are Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, Richard M. Powers, Frank Kelly Freas, and Virgil Finlay.

The New Yorker has a series of videos on their website called The Naked Campaign. It is a series of short videos of a political cartoonist drawing cartoons of the presidential campaign. The videos are both faschinating and humorous. They are really fun to watch.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/nakedcampaign/videos

I finally went to the doctor this evening and he gave me some medicine in the office as well as some prescriptions. I am already starting to feel a little better.

I am reading The Predator State How Conservatives Abandoned The Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too by James K. Galbraith. The political partisanship in this book is so thick that even though I am liberal in many viewpoints, it seems like demagoguery. I am finding some of his points quite interesting and useful, but to find the points requires me to read various diatribes against libertarianism and conservatism.

I wish there was more statements of fact backed with quotes and citations. I am only fourteen pages into the book. This book is so partisan that it is almost impossible to read. I think, I will read it to find out the arguments. The content is not so great. The author seems to be seeking payback for the long period of government acting against Keynsian economics. James K. Galbraith is the son of John Kenneth Galbraith who I have a great deal of respect for.

No comments: