Friday, August 28, 2009

Daily Thoughts 8/28/2009

Cover of the pulp magazine Weird Tales (October 1934, vol. 24, no. 4) featuring The Black God's Kiss by C. L. Moore (first of the Jirel of Joiry stories). Cover by Margaret Brundage.



I am enjoying reading Songs of the Dying Earth. My favorite short story so far is The Final Quest of the Wizard Sarnod by Jeff Vandermeer. It is a truly strange tale with miniaturized people, blimps, and magic. Jeff Vandermeer has a real ability to describe the fantastic in vivid ways. I have read many of his novels. His website is quite interesting. http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/



I am still reading The Management Myth. I am learning often the main reason that people use consultants is that companies are often unwilling to do what needs to be done because of internal politics or mismanagement. Consultants are often hired to do what companies already know they need to do. It is like so many things in this world.

The second thing I learned today from reading The Management Myth is that the moment a consultant says the word strategy he is going to come up with a plan that will cost you a lot of money. This is one of the reasons I like this book so much. It can be unexpectedly morose.



As I am reading The Practice of Management, I have come across another truism. It seems like Peter Drucker's statements have become the accepted ideas behind many modern businesses. The latest truism is that the best investment you can make is in people. I don't know if this is completely true. If people don't have the tools they need, they simply can't be effective.


My access to the egalley on Netgalley for The Case For Books, Past, Present and Future by Robert Darnton has been confirmed. Now, I can start reading the book. I like reading about books. There is something comforting in the written word. Eppecially if the written word is by a librarian like Robert Darnton.

No comments: