Thursday, August 20, 2009

Daily Thoughts 8/20/2009

Bertrand Russell Nobel laureate in Literature 1950


Daily Thoughts 8/20/2009

Today, I have been weeding some more in the 800s. I am in the poetry section right now. Sometimes, you find odd titles which are appealing like Untitled Epic Poem on the History of Industrialization by R. Buckminster Fuller. I found it rather intriguing.



I finished reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Dead and Alive Book Three. The series was satisfying but a little strange. It is also on the Locus Magazine paperback bestseller list. Dean Koontz has been focusing on writing about odd people a lot lately. The last book I read of his before this series was Odd Thomas. In the Frankenstein books, I can recognize the influence of the british writer Brian Lumley. It is a nice distraction if you want something to pass some time reading.



I read some more of The Practice of Management by Peter F. Drucker. It identifies the main purpose of a business is to create customers. Businesses do this through marketing, innovation, and productivity. Profit is the end point of doing these things right. The book makes a lot of sense. There is no jargon in this book. It is very different from more modern business texts. There are no charts and statistics.

No comments: