Saturday, October 17, 2009

Daily Thoughts 10/17/2009

Calligraphy example by Barbedor. Look at this example of calligraphy closely, it is different than the way most modern calligraphy is taught, there are lots of loops and cursive motions, one letter flows into the next. It is not the same as the fixed style which most modern calligraphy is taught with. I remember being shown something similar to the way this is taught when I was younger.


Daily Thoughts 10/17/2009

I finished reading The Quiet War by Paul McAuley this morning. It reads like there will be a sequel. I am very much interested in there being one. I really like the character, Macy Minnot. Tomorrow, I'll write a review of the book at the laundromat.

I also just finished reading Warfighting by the U.S. Marine Corp, the 1989 edition. It is published by Cosimo books. http://www.cosimobooks.com/ I sometimes read books on military strategy because I find it interesting. I have read both Carl Von Clausewitz and Sun Tzu. There are often interesting insights in these books. One of my favorite books of philosophy is Miyamoto Musashi's A Book of Five Rings. Most all of these books include insights on life which you would not find anywhere else.

This is an excellent article about ebooks and the brain from the New York Times. http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/does-the-brain-like-e-books/#gloria

No comments: