Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/07/2012


James Abbott McNeill Whistler, 1858, Reading By Lamplight

Daily Thoughts 11/07/2012

Yesterday, I voted.  The polls were full of people.  The power trucks are working on a downed tree and a power pole near my house.  It has been my eighth day without power.  There is supposed to be a Noreaster coming.  I did not get a whole lot of reading done today.

The book Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon came in for me to read.  It should be interesting.  I checked the gifts, the displays, and the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I am putting together a display on books about books near the rotunda.

I also spent a little more time checking a list of books.  I am checking the last two weeks of the New York Times Book Review.  I am also checking the last three weeks of Publishers Weekly.  I put the book, The Signal and the Noise Why Most Predictions Fail, But Some Don't by Nate Silver on hold.  There is a new autobiography of J.G. Ballard coming out in February of 2013 called Miracles of Life. Shanghai to Shepperton.

The Computer Lab was open today between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.

I spent some time this afternoon looking at fiction titles.  I also took some time to look at the new books section.  We are getting lots of new books in.  Some people have commented that they like the new computer books.  It is snowing heavily outside right now.



Web Bits

Libraries Weather the Superstorm
http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/features/11042012/libraries-weather-superstorm

Surviving Sandy Stories from the Publishing World
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/54641-surviving-sandy-stories-from-the-publishing-world.html

Personal Branding for Librarians
http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/features/11062012/personal-branding-librarians

No comments: