Saturday, November 10, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/10/2012


 Niccolò Machiavelli (3 May 1469 – 21 June 1527) was a Florentine statesman, political philosopher, historian, musician, poet, and comedic playwright. Statue by Lorenzo Bartolini outside the Uffizi, Florence. Own photo - photo made on 12 October 2005. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Macchiavelli01.jpg

Daily Thoughts 11/10/2012

This morning, I finished reading On Politics by Alan Ryan.  I went to the Barnes and Noble near my house today.  I took a look at classic novels like War and Peace by Tolstoy, 1984 by George Orwell, and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I also took a look through the drama section and am considering getting some Shakespeare, Eugene Ionesco, Arthur Miller, Henrik Ibsen, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw and other playrights.

 I tried to get gas in the morning.  I lined up with the other cars.  Then one of the drivers got out of their car and went into the station.  It turned out that there was no gas, so we all drove away.  I have to be very careful using my car because of the gas shortage.  This is often the feeling of what it is like right now.  While I was at the mall, it was almost empty of cars, people are afraid to drive their cars because of the fuel shortage.  There were sale posters all over the mall. People are not spending money as well.

I read some more of The End of Business As Usual by Brian Solis.  This is a book about technical changes in business strategy brought about by social technologies.  There are so many new ideas in this book it is hard to keep track of all of them.  The ideas range from cobranding to big data to customer centrism.  It is very much a book which uses the language of the digerati. 

I read a little bit more of True North by Bill George.  I am on Chapter 3 which is about moving away from being self centered from everything being about I to "We".  It is very much about how people are more willing to work with leaders who consider the needs of others.

No comments: