Friday, November 9, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/09/2012


Portrait of Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam with Renaissance Pilaster by Hans Holbein The Younger, 1523 http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Holbein-erasmus.jpg

Daily Thoughts 11/09/2012

This morning, I read some more of On Politics by Alan RyanThe author is writing about the establishment of humanism.  He specifically is discussing the impact of Erasmus and Sir Thomas More.  I rather like that Erasmus described how violence is counter to education. Sir Thomas More wrote Utopia.  I put the second volume of On Politics on hold last night.

I checked the Facebook and Twitter account for the library and checked the displays. 

We are getting many more new titles in.  I have ordered over 1800 individual new titles of books in the last month for both fiction and nonfiction for the adult collection.   There has also been a lot of ordering in all the different sections; dvds, cds, childrens, young adult, and other sections. Hopefully, this should help bring our collection more up to date.  The new arrivals section is packed with material.

I checked out the book, The Startup of You by Reid Hoffman and Ben Casnocha.  Reid Hoffman is a cofounder of Linkedin.  I am looking at The One World School House Education Reimagined by Salman Khan who founded the Khan Academy which is a collection of online learning videos across a great range of subjects.

I finished putting in my nonfiction central library district orders which are focused on lost items today.

On the way home, I read some more On Politics by Alan Ryan. I am reading about Machiavelli right now who wrote The Prince.  The Prince is very popular at our library.  On Politics helps create a context to better understand The Prince by describing Niccolo Machiavelli's life and the structure of Florentine politics.

There are some other books on military and political strategy which are also very popular like The Art of War by Sun Zi, and The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

Web Bits

A new meetup, Publishing Tech Meetup
http://www.meetup.com/publishingtech/

No comments: